- A conservative estimate of 40,000 bio-based products were sold in the USA in 2013 with an estimated value of $126 billion.
- The bio-based industries contributed $369 billion to the US economy in 2013.
- The bio-based products industry directly employed 1.5 million Americans in 2013.
- The biobased products are currently displacing about 300 million gallons of petroleum per year – equivalent to taking 200,000 cars off the road.
The seven sectors considered to be involved the US bio-based products industry were:
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Biobased Chemicals
- Bioplastic Bottles & Packaging
- Forest Products
A good read for those interested in the bio-based economy and the future potential of bio-renewables.
For the full report, please click here